Chop vegetables to suit, you may also coarsely chopped then pureed the cooked soup in the processor.
- 2 or 3 large cans of crushed or pureed tomatoes (add water for soupier consistency)
- 1 bunch of regular scallions or 3 large bulbs
- 1/2 head of white cabbage or 3/4 of green cabbage
- 1 bunch of celery
- 4 carrots
- 2 large green/red or yellow peppers
- 1 bunch of Italian parsley (not curly)
- 1 bunch of basil or cilantro
- 3 large bay leaves (whole)
- 1 head of garlic (15-20 cloves), finely chopped
- 1 package of Lipton Onion Soup mix
- 4 chicken or beef bouillon cubes
- black pepper, rosemary, tarragon, red crushed pepper, added to suit your taste.
- Pour the large cans of crushed tomatoes into a big soup pot. Add in 1 can of water to dilute it.
- Add cleaned and chopped scallions (green and white parts), cabbage, celery, carrots, peppers and start to cook on medium to low flame.
- Clean, chop and add parsley followed by the basil or cilantro.
- Add 3 large whole bay leaves to the soup mixture. (discard the bay leaves before serving)
- Add the garlic, the onion soup mix, and the chicken or beef bouillon cube.
- Stir the soup regularly and adjust the flame so it slowly boils or simmers. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add black pepper, tarragon and rosemary to suit your taste and crushed red pepper if you like.
- Taste the soup as you cook it, adjust cooking time to suit your taste. Add more water if you like or the 3rd can of tomatoes. The soup may be eaten hot or cold. Enjoy the new soup recipe.