This is an excellent variation on the traditional cabbage soup recipe and excellent for those who like hot stuff, Spicy food also speed up the metabolism.
- 2 medium sized onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 6 carrots
- 4 stalks of celery
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 tsp minced fresh red chili pepper (Serrano, or jalapeno)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 5 cups + 1 tbsp chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups thinly sliced Savoy or green cabbage
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of broth in a medium soup pot. Healthy sauté sliced onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and minced chili pepper. Continue to sauté for another minute.
- Stir in dried coriander and mustard, and add broth, and rest of ingredients except cabbage, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered, until all ingredients are tender.
- Add cabbage, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.